😍 Who we look for
- Experts: We look for the top 5% of talent in the world. We offer inspiring projects to work on, smart teammates, flexible working conditions, and fair pay.
- Cultural fit: People who fit with our culture and values (more on these below). You must be someone who will thrive in a distributed team (it’s not for everyone!).
🌎 We’re a globally distributed team
Our team lives across the world in different locations, but we all work together remotely. Living in a place that makes us happy is important to us. Here’s what that actually means:
- The Whisk team is located across the globe from GMT-8 to GMT+9. We have team members based in the UK, US, Russia, Israel, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Korea, and other countries.
- As a team member, you’re able to work from anywhere you’d like in the world. If you’re in a timezone more than +/- 6 hours GMT, you may need to shift your hours in the evening or early morning.
- We hold an in-person company retreat every 9-12 months. During COVID, we’ve switched to virtual events but are really looking forward to our next face-to-face meetup! 🙂
🔥 How we work as a team
As a distributed team, we value processes that help us communicate:
- For communicating as a team, we use Slack as an internal chat tool and Zoom for video calls.
- We use Notion and Google apps (docs, sheets, slides, etc.) for keeping things organized and collaborating.
- Throughout the year, we host meetings to align our company goals and our work together as a team.
- Every two weeks we hold a Strategy Update and Demo where we share what’s going well, what’s not, and what new features we’ve been working on.
- We also host optional bi-weekly meetings for the team to share non-work related updates—whether we’re sharing about a recent trip, introducing new family members and pets, or talking about what books we’re reading or movies we’ve watched.
🌟 Our values
These values serve to create a shared understanding of how our team collaborates and builds products together. This philosophical approach is co-created by the team.
We take ownership
- We proactively seek to solve problems we each see, not assuming that someone else will do so instead. We make sure there are clear decision makers who can balance feedback with decisive action.
- We are positive in how we approach situations and seek to get to the best outcome. Embrace learnings, and improve together. We are constantly looking for individual and team improvements, avoiding complacency. If something doesn’t feel right we should call it out.
We move quickly and deliberately
- What we ship is what matters. The sooner we ship, the sooner we get feedback on our assumptions.
- We make priorities clear and make clear decisions. When we disagree, we assign a clear ownership and commit.
- We start with why and understand user problems. We rely on data to drive decisions and reflect on what we’ve shipped.
We work better together
- We believe a cross-disciplined team is stronger than any individual. We value our diverse backgrounds, skills, opinions, and approaches. We value working together to co-create, challenge, build upon and validate our ideas.
- We value transparency, defaulting to open channels and written documentation of our thinking and decisions. We share our goals and work openly with the team and value feedback.
- We communicate asynchronously where effective to make time zone overlap time available for valuable synchronous communication.
- We make time to laugh, making time to get to know each other. We celebrate wins and positive moments. Together we win or learn – we celebrate and support each other.
We are candid and kind
- We are direct and honest in our feedback, but follow the 4A model (Aim to Assist, Actionable, Appreciate, Accept or discard)
- We are timely with our feedback – we don’t wait. But we do take the time to be thoughtful in how we deliver it.