London: 21st May 2018 Today, Whisk is excited to announce that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Germany-based Avocando. The team is joining Whisk to help scale a joint global vision to help leading businesses create integrated and meaningful digital food experiences using cutting-edge technology.
Avocando is a leader in making recipes shoppable at grocery retailers in Europe and counts some of Europe’s largest IoT companies, recipe publishers and retailers as customers.
Whisk is a smart food platform used by some of the world’s largest food companies to power smart digital food applications and make recipes shoppable. Whisk’s platform powers experiences for over 100,000,000 monthly users through the applications of its clients.
As the eCommerce grocery market quickly accelerates across Europe, players are increasingly looking for ways to connect recipe content to grocery retailers and provide consumers with personalized nutrition, planning and purchase options right from the comfort of their kitchen
Whisk is currently focused on the US, UK and Australia and with the acquisition will expand services across Europe. Together, Germany, France and Spain represent a larger eCommerce grocery market than both the US and UK individually, with the largest online recipe usage per capita figures in the world.
With Whisk, Avocando customers will benefit in two ways; they’ll get access to Whisk’s deeper and broader food Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities and, companies with a reach beyond Germany will be able to leverage Whisk’s international grocery and publisher integrations.
We’re delighted to build on a strong year of growth with this deal. With grocery eCommerce in Europe accelerating, it makes a lot of sense for both Whisk and Avocando customers.– Nick Holzherr, Whisk
- Whisk’s platform enables frictionless food experiences by connecting the world’s recipes, products, and shopping choices using artificial intelligence and deep learning.
- Whisk was founded in 2012 and raised $2m from seed investors in between 2013 and 2014 before becoming profitable in 2017. The team is 22 people and the team works remotely.
- Whisk counts some of the world’s largest players in the food ecosystem as partners – tracking over 100,000,000 user interactions per month. Clients include:
- Amazon, Walmart, Instacart, Tesco, Asda, Woolworths
- BBC Good Food, Allrecipes, FoodNetwork, Hearst
- Samsung, General Mills, Nestle, McCormick, Unilever
- Avocando is a platform that makes recipes shoppable and connects IoT applications to grocery retailers in Germany, Austria and across Europe. Avocando was launched in 2015 by the team behind the Simplora.de grocery price comparison, having raised a total of €1m.
- Avocando powers 600,000 shoppable recipes, reaching 20,000,000 monthly shoppers across Germany and Europe.
- Avocando’s customers include Chefkoch (Germany’s largest recipe publisher), Miele, Bringmeister (the delivery arm of grocery giant EDEKA) and BSH Home Appliances’ HomeConnect.